- Both medications are often used to treat neuropathic pain and epilepsy
- Mechanism: Both work via inhibition of Ca+ influx and block release of excitatory neurotransmitters. However, exact mechanism not known!
- Both drugs can be taken without food
- Neither drug binds to plasma proteins
- Both drugs are renally excreted and not metabolized by the liver (CYP Enzymes)
- Half-life of both is ~6 hours
**pregabalin may have some pharmacokinetic advantages over gabapentin; This may be the reason for improved pharmacodynamic effect.
- Bockbrader HN, Wesche D, Miller R, Chapel S, Janiczek N, Burger P. A comparison of the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of pregabalin and gabapentin. Clin Pharmacokinet. 2010 Oct;49(10):661-9. doi: 10.2165/11536200-000000000-00000.