Although rare, the differential diagnosis of hypoventilation and hypercapnia respiratory failure includes hypothyroidism. It is usually associated with severe hypothyroidism (i.e. myxedema coma) .
The suspected mechanism(s) by which hypothyroidism causes hypoventilation are:
- Depression of the central ventilatory drive response to hypercapnia/hypoxia .
- Skeletal muscle myopathy with a weakening of the diaphragm and intercostal muscles [3-4].
Typically, the introduction of levothyroxine [T4] supplementation will reverse the underlying pathology [5-6].
- NORDQVIST P, DHUNER KG, STENBERG K, ORNDAHL G. Myxoedema coma and carbon dioxide-retention. Acta Med Scand. 1960 Mar 10;166:189-94.
- Duranti R, Gheri RG, Gorini M, et al. Control of breathing in patients with severe hypothyroidism. Am. J. Med. 1993;95:29–37.
- Siafakas NM, Salesiotou V, Filaditaki V, Tzanakis N, Thalassinos N, Bouros D. Respiratory muscle strength in hypothyroidism. Chest. 1992 Jul;102(1):189-94.
- Schlenker EH. Effects of hypothyroidism on the respiratory system and control of breathing: Human studies and animal models. Respir Physiol Neurobiol. 2012 Apr 30;181(2):123-31.
- Ladenson PW, Goldenheim PD, Ridgway EC. Prediction and reversal of blunted ventilatory responsiveness in patients with hypothyroidism. Am J Med. 1988 May;84(5):877-83.
- Behnia M, Clay AS, Farber MO. Management of myxedematous respiratory failure: review of ventilation and weaning principles. Am. J. Med. Sci. 2000;320:368–373.
Mixed apneas are characterized by absent respiratory effort and airflow in the first section of…
B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) is a hormone created in response to cardiac wall stretch due…
A common finding described on computed tomography (CT) imaging. A disease with a peribronchovascular distribution…
Though often used synonymously; Trapped Lung and Lung Entrapment technically describe separate entities along the…
It is not clearly understood why patients with pulmonary hypertension (PH) develop pericardial effusions. However,…
The two drugs are not interchangeable, nor dose equivalents. Mycophenolate mofetil (Cellcept) is a semi-synthetic…