Prolactin (PRL) is an anterior pituitary hormone which has its principle physiological action in initiation and maintenance of lactation. It may be elevated in a variety of scenarios:
- Lactotroph adenomas (Prolactinomas)
- Drugs (i.e Anti-psychotics, SSRI, Metoclopamide)
- Chronic renal failure
- Other physiologic causes include: pregnancy, nipple stimulation, and stress
- Majumdar, A. and Mangal, N. Hyperprolactinemia. J Hum Reprod Sci. 2013 Jul-Sep; 6(3): 168–175.
- Chun, J. Hyperprolactinemia: Causes and Treatments. Clinician Reviews. 2014 February;24(2):26-27.
- Serri O., et al. Diagnosis and management of hyperprolactinemia. CMAJ. September 16, 2003 169 (6) 575-581.