Prolactin (PRL) is an anterior pituitary hormone which has its principle physiological action in initiation and maintenance of lactation. It may be elevated in a variety of scenarios:
- Lactotroph adenomas (Prolactinomas)
- Drugs (i.e Anti-psychotics, SSRI, Metoclopamide)
- Chronic renal failure
- Other physiologic causes include: pregnancy, nipple stimulation, and stress
- Majumdar, A. and Mangal, N. Hyperprolactinemia. J Hum Reprod Sci. 2013 Jul-Sep; 6(3): 168–175.
- Chun, J. Hyperprolactinemia: Causes and Treatments. Clinician Reviews. 2014 February;24(2):26-27.
- Serri O., et al. Diagnosis and management of hyperprolactinemia. CMAJ. September 16, 2003 169 (6) 575-581.
The two drugs are not interchangeable nor dose equivalents. Mycophenolate mofetil is a semi synthetic…
Serum Creatinine can be a deceptive surrogate during an acute kidney injury. It may lag…
Macrophage activation syndrome (MAS) is a life-threatening complication of rheumatic diseases (i.e SLE, Juvenile idiopathic…
After creation of a percutaneous tracheotomy site for prolonged ventilation, one of the immediate complications…
Two systematic reviews have assessed the diagnostic accuracy of elements of the medical history, physical…
SYMPTOMS THAT RULE OUT (Lowest -LR): The absence of pain of sudden onset substantively decreases…