Interventions with Mortality Benefit in COPD
- Smoking Cessation
- Long-term Oxygen therapy (>15 hours per day)
- Lung volume reduction surgery in certain subsets of COPD patients (Emphysema)
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation AFTER a COPD exacerbation
- Continuous or nocturnal oxygen therapy in hypoxemic chronic obstructive lung disease: a clinical trial. Nocturnal Oxygen Therapy Trial Group. Ann Intern Med 1980;93:391-8.
Mannino DM, Kiri VA. Changing the burden of COPD mortality. International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. 2006;1(3):219-233.
- Puhan MA, Scharplatz M, Troosters T, Steurer J. Respiratory rehabilitation after acute exacerbation of COPD may reduce risk for readmission and mortality — a systematic review. Respir Res. 2005;6:54.
Young J, Fry-Smith A, Hyde C. Lung volume reduction surgery (LVRS) for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) with underlying severe emphysema. Thorax. 1999;54(9):779-789.
Dr. C Humphreys
Mixed apneas are characterized by absent respiratory effort and airflow in the first section of…
Although rare, the differential diagnosis of hypoventilation and hypercapnia respiratory failure includes hypothyroidism. It is…
B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) is a hormone created in response to cardiac wall stretch due…
A common finding described on computed tomography (CT) imaging. A disease with a peribronchovascular distribution…
Though often used synonymously; Trapped Lung and Lung Entrapment technically describe separate entities along the…
It is not clearly understood why patients with pulmonary hypertension (PH) develop pericardial effusions. However,…