Interventions with Mortality Benefit in COPD
- Smoking Cessation
- Long-term Oxygen therapy (>15 hours per day)
- Lung volume reduction surgery in certain subsets of COPD patients (Emphysema)
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation AFTER a COPD exacerbation
- Continuous or nocturnal oxygen therapy in hypoxemic chronic obstructive lung disease: a clinical trial. Nocturnal Oxygen Therapy Trial Group. Ann Intern Med 1980;93:391-8.
Mannino DM, Kiri VA. Changing the burden of COPD mortality. International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. 2006;1(3):219-233.
- Puhan MA, Scharplatz M, Troosters T, Steurer J. Respiratory rehabilitation after acute exacerbation of COPD may reduce risk for readmission and mortality — a systematic review. Respir Res. 2005;6:54.
Young J, Fry-Smith A, Hyde C. Lung volume reduction surgery (LVRS) for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) with underlying severe emphysema. Thorax. 1999;54(9):779-789.
Mixed apneas are characterized by absent respiratory effort and airflow in the first section of…
Although rare, the differential diagnosis of hypoventilation and hypercapnia respiratory failure includes hypothyroidism. It is…
B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) is a hormone created in response to cardiac wall stretch due…
A common finding described on computed tomography (CT) imaging. A disease with a peribronchovascular distribution…
Though often used synonymously; Trapped Lung and Lung Entrapment technically describe separate entities along the…
It is not clearly understood why patients with pulmonary hypertension (PH) develop pericardial effusions. However,…