Lambert-Eaton vs. Myasthenia Gravis
- Auto-antibodies against ACh Receptor
- Motor response decreases with successive contractions of voluntary skeletal muscles (particularly ocular, masticatory, facial, deglutition, lingual) WATCH for resp muscle weakness!
- TENDON reflexes are maintained
- EMG: a typical decremental response on repetitive stimulation
- Smooth and cardiac muscle are not involved and other neural functions are typically preserved (NO autonomic dysfunction)
- Thymectomy is an important treatment option for MG (associated with thymoma and thymic hyperplasia)
- Atrophy/Pain are typically not reported
- Auto-antibodies against Ca+ channels
- Motor response improves with successive contractions., e.g. improvement of power on repeated hand grip (a phenomenon known as “Lambert’s sign“)
- At rest, reflexes are typically reduced; with muscle use, reflex strength increases
- The pupillary light reflex may be sluggish
- Sometimes causes autonomic (involuntary) symptoms such as dry mouth, constipation, impotence and bladder urgency
- Lambert-Eaton may be regarded as a paraneoplastic syndrome (60% of LEM have Small cell lung cancer, but only 3% of SCLC experience LEM)
- 461: Myasthenia Gravis and Other Diseases of the Neuromuscular Junction. Daniel B. Drachman; Anthony A. Amato. Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, 19e
- Engel AG, ed. Neuromuscular Junction Disorders. Handbook of Clinical Neurology. Vol 91. Amsterdam: Elsevier; 2008.
- Jayawant S, Parr J, Vincent A. Autoimmune myasthenia gravis. Handb Clin Neurol. 2013;113:1465–1468.
Nocturia is a common symptom associated with obstructive sleep apnea.  Img Cred: Am J…
ASD (Atrial Septal Defect) Wide, Fixed split S2 (in contrast to the normal variation in…
Mixed apneas are characterized by absent respiratory effort and airflow in the first section of…
Although rare, the differential diagnosis of hypoventilation and hypercapnia respiratory failure includes hypothyroidism. It is…
B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) is a hormone created in response to cardiac wall stretch due…
A common finding described on computed tomography (CT) imaging. A disease with a peribronchovascular distribution…